bpython version 0.18 on top of Python 3.7.6 /usr/local/opt/python/bin/python3.7
>>> import turtle
>>> silly = turtle.Turtle()
>>> for i in range(20):
... silly.forward(i * 10)
A bit of wasted time on Youtube followed the discovery of gameplay videos for “Urban Assault”, the one game I ****ing loved when I was younger (as with all nostalgia, I obviously think it was underrated).
Someone else pointed out that “Dead Poets Society” was an overhyped movie, and in fact a bit ridiculous.
More wasted time on Youtube, this time on revisiting an old album by “Enigma” (remember?!) — and then it was depressing to find out exactly how old: twenty years
Someone in Japan got up close and personal with a Giant Squid. Skip the article, watch the short video clip in the beginning.
Finally, here is something that blew me away. It’s not science fiction, this isn’t CGI rendering for some upcoming movie, this is real. This WIRED article catalogues some “retro-futuristic” architecture (public housing, by the way) built half a century ago. Separately (I’m not making this up) I came to know that one of these sites, the one whose image is at the top of the post, was a filming location for “Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2”.
(for some reason, I had saved this draft 20 days ago, but neglected to actually hit “publish”)
Continuing (or stumbling) along a path to using Common Lisp for stuff I consider fun, I came up with this.
As mentioned in the `README`, I need to work on making this more efficient.
Stuff I learned along the way:
I love how I can focus on “making it work” _before_ worrying about “making it fast”
Utilities exist for a reason. _Use them_ (I’ve decided to stick with `:rutils`)
Don’t be afraid of using libraries. I found `:cl-log`, which is amazingly well-written and I will never use all of it, but just the basic use case of toggling levels of verbosity is good enough for me, and something that would normally be hard to do.
Building up the system works really well. This is the first time I’ve had an experience of writing stuff that sort of _just worked_, since it felt like I was **directly translating my thoughts into code**.
It’s easy to rapidly create and modify functions, stubs, what not, while keeping them all in view, in the same 100 or so lines of vertical space (contrast with switching between (say) multiple `.java` files)
Anyway, here are a couple of samples I made with this (click to see detailed image):